Hustings (public meetings where people get a chance to meet the candidates for election, hear them speak, and ask questions) are a powerful and valuable part of British democracy. We strongly urge you to attend at least one in your area for your own interest. But they aren’t just about what the candidates say: the mood of the public at the meetings is also very important. So it is vital that we all get along to as many as we can. Cheer our Andrea, boo (politely!) the others, and ask some good questions.
The list of hustings in Somerton and Frome is growing daily. Here are the ones that we know about so far; check back to this page regularly for updates.
- 24 Nov, 2 pm, Football Club, Frome. Andrea was very well received, and people have told us that they are switching their votes to her after hearing her speak.
- 30 Nov, 7 pm: Village Hall, Baltonsborough. Another excellent hustings. Climate change, the NHS and Brexit were the main subjects, and so Andrea had good answers to all. On this basis, the Green Party has a good chance in Somerton and Frome.
- 2 Dec 7:30 pm: At the Chapel, 28 High St, Bruton BA10 0AE
- 3 Dec, 7 pm: All Saints Church, Church St, Castle Cary BA7 7LD
- 4 Dec, 7 pm: The Seed Factory, High Stret, Aller, TA10 0QN (this was cancelled due to illness in Adam Boyden’s close family)
Hustings in Martock and Curry Rivel were cancelled when David Warburon declined to appear.
I you didn’t make it to any of those events, we have prepared a virtual hustings page for you.
You can also email Dr Dexter with your questions through the contact page. She will do her best to answer you before polling day.